The Prime Minister of the failed state of Lebanon has finally admitted one of many truths about this country: Abysmal incompetence. He stated unequivocally in an interview that the country "has entered the Guinness book of wasting opportunities".
While this is a huge understatement, it nonetheless is quite refreshing since he - the leader of the country (since the President - the Syrian collaborator army general Michel Sleiman is a castrated puppet dummy without any powers) - is a billionaire Sunni Muslim asshole whose predecessors have themselves ruined the prosperous democratic Lebanon that existed prior to 1975 by selling it to Yasser Arafat's PLO and the fucking Saudis, Kuwaitis and Syrians.
Lebanon has beaten the records of not only missed opportunities, but also of:
- rampant corruption in the state's administrations,
- theft of public funds by politicians,
- fragmentation along religious lines,
- mercenary politicians working for outside countries against their own country's interests,
- pollution, health hazards, and environmental ruin,
- economic disparities in wealth distribution
- poverty, unemployment, emigration
- illegal weapons in the hands of ordinary people and terrorist organizations (both domestic, like Hezbollah, and foreign, like the Syrian militias of the Palestinian camps),
- plain outright incompetence in delivering basic services to people like electricity, water, internet, etc.
Lebanon also has evolved a social fabric that is based on primitive religious beliefs that relegate the human condition to divine responsibility, which makes people not take responsibility for their own lives but instead attribute to God, saints, mullahs, patriarchs, and other divine and religious figures the sole capability of changing matters. And so, Lebanon also has beaten the records in:
- the high per-capita production of saints (The Vatican has beatified and canonized over the past three decades more saints in Lebanon than any other country on a per-capita basis).
- discrimination against women,
- rampant racism and discrimination against foreign workers who are abused and treated like cattle (there are 300,000 foreign maids in Lebanon for a population of 3.5 million),
- a disgusting consumerism in which the few wealthy Lebanese parade their "success" by showing off their cars and maids while the street just outside their doors is pure third-world with pollution and garbage,
- lack of any urban planning - Lebanon is one of the ugliest countries. You have to travel way outside the cities to find any real natural beauty,
- no respect for public spaces: no sidewalks, no parks, cars parked everywhere, no public transportation, and public beaches all stolen by developers and politicians who build gigantic resorts right on the water, thus pilfering property that is not theirs, and depriving the general public of access by imposing exorbitant fees. There is one public beach for every 100 private resorts. The Lebanese don;t seem to understand that air and sea are public property that belong to the people. The rest of the world does, but not the stupid Lebanese.
and where the human element in Lebanese society is the least important.
Thank you, PM Miqati for this first step, although made in jest. You should publicly make an act of contrition for all the harm that the Lebanese, particularly the politicians like you, have done to their own country, and begin reversing all the ills described above.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati said in remarks published on Tuesday, "It is high time that the country made use of the available opportunities, as it has entered the Guinness book of wasting opportunities,” he told Al-Jumhuriya newspaper.